About Me

My photo
I love makeup. For 2 years now I've been following beauty blogs and logging into YouTube to check out all the new trends. This is my sophomore blog.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Spring Clean Out

At the end of March, I moved into a new apartment. I packed up my little studio apartment and cleaned out a full sized storage unit! Needless to say, I realized I had A LOT more than I thought. Overwhelmed with possessions, I decided to start pairing down my closet. This lead to research online about organization. Then I stumbled upon this idea:

Woman gets rid of 10 things a day to declutter



A very good idea, actually! So about a month ago, I began religiously getting rid of 10 items a day. Some days it was 10 items, and other days 15.

When I found a free moment throughout my day, I realized that my mind would wander to thinking about items that I wasn't using in my home. Using this method, by the end of my day when I returned home, I would usually have a plan for what I wanted to remove from my home by either selling it (ebay and craigslist I love you!), donating it to salvation army or tossing it (sad, but true).

I remember a time when I first started earning money when purchasing items gave me a euphoric feeling. Then when I was earning more money, I was spending more and this feeling lessened. The more I spent, the less enjoyment I got out of my possessions. I was becoming suffocated by my newly acquired things. Moving put this all into perspective for me.

Now, getting rid of things is giving me the same sort of "high" that I once got when I was purchasing things. Cleaning out once sought after possessions and realizing how much I spent on these items, only to donate them or toss them makes me think more before spending my hard earned money. Not only am I losing money, but landfills are filling up and the consumer machine continues to run faster and faster to fill our perceived need of things.


Donations and things to sell..


20130518_114253.jpeg

Have I used this in the past year?

I'm enjoying living with less and less each day. Ideally, I'd like to own only the things I use on a very regular basis. After doing some research on the mental process of giving things away (yes people have actually worked this out), I determined the best question to ask myself was, "have you used this in the past year?". With the majority of my items, asking myself this question easily forced me to give the item up. As this process continues, it is easier to convince myself to let go of the items that were once never going to leave my closet (the ones I haven't used in the past 12 months). When I am at the end of this process (if there is an end??), I hope to give up all items not used in the past 12 months as well as infrequently used items.



No comments:

Post a Comment